Saturday, January 30, 2010

Got Lists?

I'll confess, I'm a lists kind of girl. Written lists. I love to write and I love to fill pieces of paper with grocery lists, to-do lists, ideas for different projects, guest lists, and well, the list just goes on and on. Maybe it has something to do with my inherent need to plan. Maybe I'm just a dork. Either way, I love to make lists and I'm not ashamed to say it.

I've noticed that others have a liking for lists as well. Bucket lists, wish lists, weekly/monthly/yearly goals. This year, I decided to finally start making a list that I ran across a while back: my 101 in 1001. If you aren't familiar with it, it's a listing of 101 things you want to accomplish in the next 1001 days.

Unfortunately after weeks have passed since starting this newest list, I've only got around 30 of the 101 spots filled. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things that I want to do in the next 2 years and 9 months, but some things just seem a bit too arbitrary to write down on this particular list. I feel that it should be completed with goals of substance. But, then again, it's my list. And my personal wants to accomplish ideas. Here is just a sampling so far:

*Get married
*Take my mom to see the ocean for the first time
*Run a 5k
*Drive the boy's Camaro
*Get my CPA license
*Throw a themed dinner party

I keep reminding myself that everything doesn't have to be an above and beyond kind of goal that I want to accomplish, just things that I've thought about for awhile and just never made the first step toward checking it off my mental list. Now I have a written list to stare me in the face and motivate me. And can put a physical checkmark next to each item as I take the opportunity to fulfill it. And for this girl who loves lists, that makes my heart happy.

No comments: